OS/2 Network printer
David McKenna
2009-12-19 20:38:17 UTC
I have decided to switch from LAN Manager 5 (WSeB) and install Samba
Server 1.01 (updated to 3.0.37 binaries) on eCS 2.0 rc7 as a primary domain
controller. Everything seems to work fine and I can log on from both OS/2
(using LAN Logon client 'Domain') and Windows XP clients and see my shares. I
can use SWAT remotely to configure everything. Thanks Herwig for your work on
this... it is awesome!

I can use the 'Sharing and Connecting' object on my OS/2 client to define
my connections. One is a printer. It is set to capture lpt1. I can install a
(OMNI) printer on the client and point to the lpt1 port and print to the
server there with no problem.

My (academic) question is: can a usable 'Network Printer' object be
created on the OS/2 client without installing the local printer? When I drag
a 'Network Printer' template object to the desktop and type in the server
(must be the NETBIOS name, not the domain name) and printer names it seems I
can see the drivers installed on the server, but if I try to print to them
with this network printer I get 'access violation' errors.

Maybe this is a Samba configuration issue? Has anyone been able to do this?

Dave McKenna