Samba printing to Faxworks PMfax from remote -- error
L.Willms
2010-04-18 17:41:35 UTC
Since I moved from IBM's LAN-softwere to SAMBA, my PMfax (Faxworks by
Kellergroup, long defunct company) does not process files from other
stations in my LAN, which are running Windows.

The FxPrint Printer Driver opens a window saying (this is on a
system with German language interface):

----------- cut --------------
Job-ID <unbekannt> für FxPrint
Error auto-starting fax program
'D:\COMMS\FAXWORKS\PMFAX.EXE' (x01A2)

Die Verarbeitung wird beendet
---------------- off -------------

Translations:
unbekannt = unknown
für = for
"Die Verarbeitung wird beendet" = "Processing is terminated" (or
somesuch).

Another window with title "VX-REXX Console for Samba Print Command
for OS/2" opens with

--------- cut --------------

Printparms='"smbprn.00000007.Hw94nl" "FxPrint" "Testseite" "0"
"43427"'
58
Verzeichnis: "C:\SPOOL\FxPrint"
Spoolfile: "smbprn.00000007.Hw94nl"
Smbprinter: "FxPrint"
;FxSave;FXPRINT.Fax
<-->FxSave
FxPrint;FxPrint;FXPRINT.Fax
FxPrint<-->FxPrint
----------------- off ------------

and a smaller window with title "Samba Print Command for OS/2" and
the single text line 'Print "Testseite" (0,43427 bytes) to "FxPrint"'

The sections in the smb.conf regarding printing are

------- cut ---------------------

[FxPrint]
comment = FxPrint
path = C:/SPOOL/FxPrint
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printing = os2
print command = C:\APPS\SAMBA\smbprint.exe "%s" "%p" "%J" "%c" "%z"
lpq command = lpq.exe -s %i -p %p
lprm command = lprm.exe -s %i -p %p %j
printer name = FxPrint

[FxSave]
comment = FxSave
path = C:/SPOOL/FxSave
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printing = os2
print command = C:\APPS\SAMBA\smbprint.exe "%s" "%p" "%J" "%c" "%z"
lpq command = lpq.exe -s %i -p %p
lprm command = lprm.exe -s %i -p %p %j
printer name = FxSave

--------------- off -------------

I had changed the SPOOL files from the SAMBA Spool directory to the
one used when printing locally, but that did not change anything.

There is a "printcap" file next to the smb.conf, but I don't know
what should be in there.

Printing to the fax driver from OS/2 and WinOS2 applications works
without problems.

Could I possibly redirect the print to the LPT2 and LPT3 ports which
are used by WinO2 applications? A "COPY sometextfile.txt LPT2:" from
the commandline works fine.

What's up? Please help!

Cheers,
L.W.
Frankfurt, Germany

Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-04-19 17:48:26 UTC
Post by L.Willms
Since I moved from IBM's LAN-softwere to SAMBA, my PMfax (Faxworks by
Kellergroup, long defunct company) does not process files from other
stations in my LAN, which are running Windows.
I don't have the LAN Version of Faxworks, so there is not much I can do
about that.
Post by L.Willms
The FxPrint Printer Driver opens a window saying (this is on a
----------- cut --------------
Job-ID <unbekannt> für FxPrint
Error auto-starting fax program
'D:\COMMS\FAXWORKS\PMFAX.EXE' (x01A2)
Die Verarbeitung wird beendet
---------------- off -------------
unbekannt = unknown
für = for
"Die Verarbeitung wird beendet" = "Processing is terminated" (or
somesuch).
Looks like a PATH or LIBPATH problem to me (from the distance)....
Post by L.Willms
Another window with title "VX-REXX Console for Samba Print Command
for OS/2" opens with
Printparms='"smbprn.00000007.Hw94nl" "FxPrint" "Testseite" "0"
"43427"'
58
Verzeichnis: "C:\SPOOL\FxPrint"
Spoolfile: "smbprn.00000007.Hw94nl"
Smbprinter: "FxPrint"
;FxSave;FXPRINT.Fax
<-->FxSave
FxPrint;FxPrint;FXPRINT.Fax
FxPrint<-->FxPrint
----------------- off ------------
That looks okay.
Post by L.Willms
[...]
These look okay.
Post by L.Willms
I had changed the SPOOL files from the SAMBA Spool directory to the
one used when printing locally, but that did not change anything.
The basic principle is that smbprint takes the file is receives via
network from Samba and prints it locally on the server.
smbprint.exe acts as a "bridge". Maybe there is some additional stuff
the LAN PMFax requires, which very likely just is not there with Samba.
Post by L.Willms
There is a "printcap" file next to the smb.conf, but I don't know
what should be in there.
You can use sscc.exe to create a proper printcap
Post by L.Willms
Printing to the fax driver from OS/2 and WinOS2 applications works
without problems.
Could I possibly redirect the print to the LPT2 and LPT3 ports which
are used by WinO2 applications? A "COPY sometextfile.txt LPT2:" from
the commandline works fine.
ok.
Post by L.Willms
What's up? Please help!
Regards,
Herwig
Herr Willms
2010-04-23 06:29:36 UTC
Am Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:48:26 UTC, schrieb Herwig Bauernfeind
<herwig.bauernfeind-***@public.gmane.org>
auf gmane.org.netlabs.samba.user :

Sorry that I did not reply earlier; for some reason the Newsreader
did not mark gmane.org.netlabs.samba.user as having a reply to my
messages, so I overlooked it.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
I don't have the LAN Version of Faxworks, so there is not much I can do
about that.
I neither do have a LAN version of Faxworks; it is just what (I
believe) they called the "Pro" version, somewhat more capabable than
the limited version delivered with OS/2 itself (or in the Bonuspack).
But I think that the basic version also did include a printer driver,
so that applications could print to the fax.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
The basic principle is that smbprint takes the file is receives via
network from Samba and prints it locally on the server.
smbprint.exe acts as a "bridge". Maybe there is some additional stuff
the LAN PMFax requires, which very likely just is not there with Samba.
The discussion has advanced a little more on the other newsgroups,
like comp.os.os2.misc etc.

By calling smbprint.exe manually, I found out that obviously the
SAMBA calls the program with wrong parameters -- Faxworks no longer
complains about a "unknown Job-ID". I guess that Samba "forgets" to
put quote marks around some of the parameters, so that the parameter
which is meant to be the Job-ID does not arrive at the printer driver.

But then the content of the spool file does not appear in the
Faxworks fax store, there is only an entry, but only the header of the
fax. It does not create a FAX file (in the form of XXXXXXX.FAX,
actually a TIFF file).

But the FAX file is created when I simply COPY the spool file to the
LPT-Port assigned to FxPrint resp. FxSave.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by L.Willms
There is a "printcap" file next to the smb.conf, but I don't know
what should be in there.
You can use sscc.exe to create a proper printcap
sscc.exe didn't say anything to me ... I was surprised that it
displayed the same dialog as the "Samba Konfigurationszentrum", the
program with the textless prompts...

Well, there are three places on my machine where a "printcap"
exists. The one created by the Samba Configuration center is not on
%ETC%\SAMBA, but one level less, on %ETC%.

Cheers,
L.W.

Gewinnen und verlieren in einer Diskussion können sich
vernünftigerweise nur beziehen auf Gewinn an Erkenntnis und Verlust
von Vorurteilen. Wer meint, es ginge um Gewinnen von Plätzen in der
Hackordnung und Niedermachen eines "Gegners", sollte sich begraben
lassen.