ndpsmb.dll crashes on multicore machines
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-03-04 10:48:20 UTC
Hi all,

attempting to nail down the problem of crashing EVFSCTL.EXE with recent
ndpsmb.dll builds on multicore machines, here are 2 different testbuilds:

1.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.beta4-with-current-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the plugin code from 1.5.beta4 (October 2009) but with
current Samba Client library code.
We expect this build to trigger the crash on multicore CPU machines like
recent 1.5.RC1 and RC2 builds did.

2.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.GA-with-r341-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the current plugin code, but the Samba Client library code
backleveled to October 2009.
We expect this build to run normally also on multicore CPU machines like
the original 1.5.beta4 build did.

It is very important to have these 2 tested on multicore CPU, because it
will help us with 2 things:

- Find out where the bug is
- either in plugin code or
- in Samba Client library code

- provide a "good" build usable for eCS 2.0 very soon.

Please, note we have neither found nor fixed the bug yet, we just want
to know when and where the multicore problem was introduced, either in
the plugin code or in the Samba Client library and in which timeframe.

Kind regards,
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-03-04 23:01:08 UTC
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:48:20 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi all,
attempting to nail down the problem of crashing EVFSCTL.EXE with recent
1.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.beta4-with-current-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the plugin code from 1.5.beta4 (October 2009) but with
current Samba Client library code.
We expect this build to trigger the crash on multicore CPU machines like
recent 1.5.RC1 and RC2 builds did.
Yes, it crashes as before.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
2.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.GA-with-r341-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the current plugin code, but the Samba Client library code
backleveled to October 2009.
We expect this build to run normally also on multicore CPU machines like
the original 1.5.beta4 build did.
Yes, this runs properly.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
It is very important to have these 2 tested on multicore CPU, because it
- Find out where the bug is
- either in plugin code or
- in Samba Client library code
Tested on an Asus M3A78-EM motherboard, with quad core Phenom
processor.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
- provide a "good" build usable for eCS 2.0 very soon.
Please, note we have neither found nor fixed the bug yet, we just want
to know when and where the multicore problem was introduced, either in
the plugin code or in the Samba Client library and in which timeframe.
Kind regards,
Herwig
Hope this helps.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-03-05 14:02:47 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
attempting to nail down the problem of crashing EVFSCTL.EXE with recent
1.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.beta4-with-current-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the plugin code from 1.5.beta4 (October 2009) but with
current Samba Client library code.
We expect this build to trigger the crash on multicore CPU machines like
recent 1.5.RC1 and RC2 builds did.
Yes, it crashes as before.
Good.
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
2.)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.GA-with-r341-Samba-lib-test.zip
This one has the current plugin code, but the Samba Client library code
backleveled to October 2009.
We expect this build to run normally also on multicore CPU machines like
the original 1.5.beta4 build did.
Yes, this runs properly.
Great. I hope I will be able to confirm your results.

So here is another one with later Samba libraries (2010-01-06 level)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.GA-with-r362-Samba-lib-test.zip

With the results of this one, we will see, which "field" of changes is
the culprit for the crashes (either the broken EA-fix or the os2path
addition).
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
- provide a "good" build usable for eCS 2.0 very soon.
Please, note we have neither found nor fixed the bug yet, we just want
to know when and where the multicore problem was introduced, either in
the plugin code or in the Samba Client library and in which timeframe.
Hope this helps
It definitely does. Thanks for your efforts!

Kind regards,
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-03-05 17:05:35 UTC
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:02:47 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
<herwig.bauernfeind-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

...snip...
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Great. I hope I will be able to confirm your results.
So here is another one with later Samba libraries (2010-01-06 level)
http://msplins06.bon.at/%7Eadmin139/files/ndpsmb-1.5.GA-with-r362-Samba-lib-test.zip
With the results of this one, we will see, which "field" of changes is
the culprit for the crashes (either the broken EA-fix or the os2path
addition).
This one works. No crash.

...snip...

Hope this helps...