SAMBA, EVFS and printing
Doug Bissett
2010-01-18 05:00:34 UTC
I have converted my systems to SAMBA, using EVFS as a client. Overall
it is working acceptably, with a few quirks.

I decided to try setting up one system as a print server. That appears
to be working, since I can print on a client, and the print job shows
up in the printer queue on the server. However, when that job is
released to the printer, it never prints. The printer wakes up, and
does everything except print.

Any ideas? Thanks...
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-01-18 07:20:41 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
I have converted my systems to SAMBA, using EVFS as a client. Overall
it is working acceptably, with a few quirks.
I decided to try setting up one system as a print server. That appears
to be working, since I can print on a client, and the print job shows
up in the printer queue on the server. However, when that job is
released to the printer, it never prints. The printer wakes up, and
does everything except print.
Any ideas? Thanks...
You can print locally on the server?

What printer, what driver, which kind of port driver on the server, how
does the smb.conf section look like?
Are you using lpd/lpr or smbprint.exe on the server?

Kind regards,
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-01-18 18:14:48 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:20:41 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Doug Bissett
I have converted my systems to SAMBA, using EVFS as a client. Overall
it is working acceptably, with a few quirks.
I decided to try setting up one system as a print server. That appears
to be working, since I can print on a client, and the print job shows
up in the printer queue on the server. However, when that job is
released to the printer, it never prints. The printer wakes up, and
does everything except print.
Any ideas? Thanks...
You can print locally on the server?
Yes.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
What printer, what driver, which kind of port driver on the server,
It is a canon i960, using the canon i950 driver, as installed by eCS
2.0 Silver edition (the OMNI driver, I believe), using a USB port.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
how
does the smb.conf section look like?
Beware of possible line wrap:
===================================
# Samba config file created using SSCC ver. 0.9.3
# from ***@IREBBS7
# Date: 14 Jan 2010 10:08:28
[global]
workgroup = DOMAIN1
server string = %h Samba Server for eCS (OS/2)
guest account = guest
username map = M:\MPTN\ETC\samba\private\smbusermap
log level = 2
log file = M:\MPTN\ETC\samba\log\log.smbd.%U.%M
time server = Yes
load printers = No
printcap name = M:\MPTN\etc\printcap
enumports command = W:\APPS\SAMBA\enumports.cmd
add user script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\usermod.cmd -a "%u"
rename user script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\usermod.cmd -r "%uold" "%unew"
delete user script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\usermod.cmd -x "%u"
add group script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\groupmod.cmd -a "%g"
delete group script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\groupmod.cmd -x "%g"
add user to group script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\groupmod.cmd -j "%g" "%u"
delete user from group script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\groupmod.cmd -l "%g"
"%u"
set primary group script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\usermod.cmd -p "%u" "%g"
add machine script = W:\APPS\SAMBA\usermod.cmd -a "%u"
lm announce = Yes
wins support = Yes
add share command = W:\APPS\SAMBA\addshare.cmd
change share command = W:\APPS\SAMBA\changeshare.cmd
delete share command = W:\APPS\SAMBA\delshare.cmd
lock directory = M:\MPTN\ETC\samba\lock
comment = Samba Server for eCS (OS/2)
create mask = 0777
ea support = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes

[HOMES]
comment = Home directory
path = W:/HOME/%u
read only = No
browseable = No

[Canoni96]
comment = Canon i960
path = M:\MPTN\ETC\samba\spool\Canoni96
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
print command = W:\APPS\SAMBA\smbprint.exe "%s" "%p" "%J" "%c" "%z"
printer name = Canoni96

[CDRIVE]
...snip the rest as it seems to be unrelated...
=======================
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Are you using lpd/lpr or smbprint.exe on the server?
smbprint.exe I assume. As I said, the print job ends up in the local
print queue on the server, and it seems to go to the printer, but it
never prints.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Kind regards,
Herwig