SYS0065: Network Acceess deneid on SERVER
Jan-Erik Lärka
2010-07-18 20:13:48 UTC
Hello,
installed Samba server 1.0.4 wpi package on a newly installed eCS 2.0 GA.
I'd like to share folders/files with 2 other eCS-workstations on my LAN and
allow them to access files that are >2Gb.

It complain whenever I try to start the configuration utility for smbusers.

I even removed EVFSGUI and everything that seemed to resemble Samba or related
and then reinstalled Samba 1.0.4 a few times, but it didn't help.

Note 1: The computer has 2 NICs, though the secondary has not been
attached/plugged in.

Note 2: I usually use IBM OS/2 NETBIOS (but not "over TCP/IP") as it is easy to
configure and work great out of the box.

Any more suggestions than removing "everything" that I have reverted to now?

//Jan-Erik
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-07-19 06:35:18 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Hello,
installed Samba server 1.0.4 wpi package on a newly installed eCS 2.0 GA.
I'd like to share folders/files with 2 other eCS-workstations on my LAN and
allow them to access files that are >2Gb.
It complain whenever I try to start the configuration utility for smbusers.
I even removed EVFSGUI and everything that seemed to resemble Samba or related
and then reinstalled Samba 1.0.4 a few times, but it didn't help.
You can savely assume that the user you are trying to use is configured
wrongly.
Make sure you have "root" and "guest" properly configured and try to log
in as "root" into smbusers.exe for the first time. Other users can be
added as a next step.
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Note 1: The computer has 2 NICs, though the secondary has not been
attached/plugged in.
Same here. As long as routing is configured properly, this is not an issue.
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Note 2: I usually use IBM OS/2 NETBIOS (but not "over TCP/IP") as it is easy to
configure and work great out of the box.
IBM OS/2 NETBIOS does not interfere with Samba at all, having Samba using TCP/IP and IBM Peer using plain NetBEUI side by side is no problem at all.
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Any more suggestions than removing "everything" that I have reverted to now?
Eventually reading the FAQ at http://svn.netlabs.org might give you a
clue what you are overlooking...

Otherwise only looking at logfiles and debug console will tell us
exactly what you did wrong....

Kind regards,
Herwig
Jan-Erik Lärka
2010-07-19 10:59:06 UTC
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Hello,
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
You can savely assume that the user you are trying to use is configured
wrongly.
Yes, but I thought that the root password was set as I used the configuration
utility that asked for the root password and typed it in twice as asked for,
pressed the button to take configuration parameters from IBM Peer LAN and
left tbs... as the authentication method.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Make sure you have "root" and "guest" properly configured and try to log
in as "root" into smbusers.exe for the first time. Other users can be
added as a next step.
Yes, though it didn't like the simple root password I tried to use as
configured by the installation procedure.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Note 1: The computer has 2 NICs, though the secondary has not been
attached/plugged in.
Same here. As long as routing is configured properly, this is not an issue.
ok!
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
NetBEUI side by side is no problem at all.
Very good!
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Any more suggestions than removing "everything" that I have reverted to now?
Eventually reading the FAQ at http://svn.netlabs.org might give you a
clue what you are overlooking...
Yes, I visited the pages over and over and over and ... again to find a clue
to what may have been wrong, but there is not much to do beside what I did,
unless I have to use some text mode app, which I also tried by the way at the
end.
Adding the user I have configured in Peer (with useradd.cmd) made it happier
when it came to the login window, but after that I came back to the
"SYS0065:..." message again. None of the passwords I tried seemed to help,
the utility that would give a clue about what was wrong kept silent (Only
said something like "Done.") beside the message about "root" that the FAQ says
doesn't matter.

Changing stuff with "net user ..." in the samba folder seemed to work ok, as
it swallowed the commands I tried.
I would like to have some of your help if possible, perhaps through VNC?
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-07-19 14:31:17 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
Hello,
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Eventually reading the FAQ at http://svn.netlabs.org might give you a
clue what you are overlooking...
Yes, I visited the pages over and over and over and ... again to find a clue
to what may have been wrong, but there is not much to do beside what I did,
unless I have to use some text mode app, which I also tried by the way at the
end.
Adding the user I have configured in Peer (with useradd.cmd) made it happier
when it came to the login window, but after that I came back to the
"SYS0065:..." message again. None of the passwords I tried seemed to help,
the utility that would give a clue about what was wrong kept silent (Only
said something like "Done.") beside the message about "root" that the FAQ says
doesn't matter.
There is something that comes to my mind: There was an issue with
password length policy in smbusers.exe, when it was possible to define a
root password in sscc.exe which was not accepted later on in
smbusers.exe. This was fixed in in Samba 1.0.4, but maybe not
completely? Anyway, to rule out this problem make sure that your root
password is a minimum of 5 chars long.
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
I would like to have some of your help if possible, perhaps through VNC?
Eventually. Suggest a procedure. I have VNC installed.

Kind regards,
Herwig
Jan-Erik Lärka
2010-07-22 06:29:04 UTC
Herwig Bauernfeind <***@...> writes:
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is something that comes to my mind: There was an issue with
password length policy in smbusers.exe, when it was possible to define a
root password in sscc.exe which was not accepted later on in
smbusers.exe. This was fixed in in Samba 1.0.4, but maybe not
completely? Anyway, to rule out this problem make sure that your root
password is a minimum of 5 chars long.
I tried to use a couple of similar (to each other) passwords that were 6
characters long of which one contained numbers.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Jan-Erik Lärka
I would like to have some of your help if possible, perhaps through VNC?
Eventually. Suggest a procedure. I have VNC installed.
Please see the e-mail that has been sent to you with information how to proceed.
The computer is on 24/7 and you can log on whenever you feel you have the time.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Kind regards,
Herwig
mvh / Wkr / MfG
//Jan-Erik
a***@public.gmane.org
2010-10-29 18:29:28 UTC
Was this ever sorted out?
I have installed 1.0.5 via wpi and then upgraded it to 1.1.0. I can
successfully create IDs and login with them and even map to shares.
But then a day or so later start getting the network error 65. The
first time I removed all the associated files and then rebuilt all the
user's again and once again it started happening a day or two later.
Andy
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-10-31 11:13:16 UTC
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
Was this ever sorted out?
I have installed 1.0.5 via wpi and then upgraded it to 1.1.0.
I hope not using the WPI, the 1.1.0 WPI is broken in several ways and
was removed recently.
Installing 1.0.5 and updating using a ZIP file should work (despite a
few glitches that 3.3.x still has, most notably testparm.exe ist broken,
which makes sscc.exe unusable as soon as one switched into expoert mode).
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
I can successfully create IDs and login with them and even map to shares.
But then a day or so later start getting the network error 65.
Do you restart the daemons in between or not?
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
The first time I removed all the associated files and then rebuilt all the
user's again and once again it started happening a day or two later.
That's weird, I have been running a 3.3.x server for several months now
without seeing this.

We would need logfiles in order to find out what is going wrong.

Regards,
Herwig
R.M. Klippstein
2010-11-01 23:10:57 UTC
Much the same problem here. Upgraded to 1.1.0 (not using .wpi) ---
Printer sharing works, copying files to server also works but copying
files from server rarely works and usually kills access to server. Will
try to send log files in next couple of days.

klipp
Herwig
R.M. Klippstein
2010-11-03 16:45:01 UTC
Ignore my previous post, Samba 3.3.x works fine! I use Larsen Commander
as my file manager and it has problems copying files from the Samba
server and ends up killing Samba. Sorry for the erroneous post.

klipp
Herwig
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-11-02 07:10:44 UTC
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
Was this ever sorted out?
I have installed 1.0.5 via wpi and then upgraded it to 1.1.0. I can
successfully create IDs and login with them and even map to shares.
But then a day or so later start getting the network error 65. The
first time I removed all the associated files and then rebuilt all the
user's again and once again it started happening a day or two later.
I have a suspicion what might be going on here.

Please try the following on the server as soon as you start getting the
network error 65 on the clients:

1. Stop the samba daemons.
2. Open a command prompt.
3. Run smbd -i

What do the last few lines say?

If the last line is "Waiting for connection", my suspicion is wrong, you
may Ctrl-Break to stop the daemon, continue as usual and we will have to
start investigating logfiles.

Kind regards,
Herwig
Andy
2010-11-15 21:45:13 UTC
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 07:10:44 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by a***@public.gmane.org
[...]
Sorry, I had solved it before I saw this post. I finally had rebuilt
the smb.conf file again. This time it was significantly different
from the first two times. After this I used swat to set the password
for my primary account ID again. Now all my accounts are working
again. I have been running for over a week and a half and reboot
several times with no issues this time with fairly heavy use. I had
found that the smbd daemon was indeed crashing prior to recreating the
smb.conf file. I don't know why it started out working initially, as
the conf file now looks much different than it did on the first two
creations, and then stopped.
Sorry I did not post sooner but have been busy using it since I got it
working.
Andy