Starting the SAMBA client in a Windows network
Neil Waldhauer
2011-08-09 04:21:23 UTC
I've got an eCS machine in a large Windows network. I'd like to try the SAMBA
client.

I click and I get a GUI window. I don't see any help or documentation. What are
the controls and windows supposed to do?

There is a mode called Dialog. There are entry fields in it. What values should
I put in them?

It may be that everything is blank because of security, but if so, wouldn't I
at least get an error message like Access Denied?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but on other platforms, SAMBA is a little easier
to use.

Neil
--
Neil Waldhauer, neil-+wRFRm7RS6nqlBn2x/***@public.gmane.org

In three decades we have never argued, disagreed. raised our voices, or even had a fight. Well, maybe there was that one spat from from 1980 thru 1992, but that was nothing a federal mediator couldn't have solved with a little arbitration.
Herwig Bauernfeind
2011-08-09 06:29:06 UTC
Post by Neil Waldhauer
I've got an eCS machine in a large Windows network. I'd like to try the SAMBA
client.
I click and I get a GUI window. I don't see any help or documentation. What are
the controls and windows supposed to do?
There is a mode called Dialog. There are entry fields in it. What values should
I put in them?
It may be that everything is blank because of security, but if so, wouldn't I
at least get an error message like Access Denied?
Well, I fixed a bug today where the workgroup description was left blank
unintentionally upon startup and added context sensitive help buttons on
every view.
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/samba/client/test/evfsgui-213-TEST-20110809.zip
This is a drop-in replacement for 2.1.2

However: The descriptions of all controls should not be blank - if they
are for you, evfsgui is unable to find the evfsi_EN.msg file on you system.
It should be located in x:\ecs\lang on your system. Eventually provide a
screenshot of your evfsgui window...
Post by Neil Waldhauer
I'm not trying to be obtuse, but on other platforms, SAMBA is a little easier
to use.
We have been told the opposite a few times :-) Nevertheless we are here
to enhance things, so...
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/
With Best Regards