samba server samba-1-0-3.wpi problems
Pete Brown
2010-01-11 20:25:03 UTC
Hi

I'm trying to install this to a system (with no monitor, mouse, keyboard
using NetOp to access the system) and bumped into the following problems.

1] The Workplace Shell object titled "Share this folder with samba"
could not be created because the object location "<XWP_CONFIG>" is invalid.

Looks like someone expects e/xWP to be installed - this needs fixing as
e/xWP is not mandatory on eCS systems.

What would also help would be if it was possible to copy the text of the
error message rather than manually copy everything...

I clicked "Ignore" to the above message and was rewarded with the SSCC
app opening and delivering lots of "missing file" errors:-
Could not find smbd.exe
Could not find smbpasswd.exe
Could not find pdbedit.exe
Could not find net.exe
Could not find testparm.exe
Could not find smbtree.exe
Could not find smbstatus.exe
Could not find smbcontrol.exe
Could not find smbclient.exe
Could not find nmblookup.exe

The list went on but I found it quicker to kill sscc and then restart it
- no error messages now.

Looks like a few things need fixing in the WPI package.

Now to figure out how to add users. The lack of useful documentation is
astounding! There is no help and the readme is not of any use whatsoever.

How to add a user?

I have downloaded the "samba setup" page and am now looking for
something called master.passwd which does not seem to exist anywhere -
certainly did not arrive in this WPI package.

I tried running smbpassword.exe but that closes immediately that it is
started. Maybe samba needs to be running? - Oh, for some useful docs...

Regards

Pete
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-01-12 07:29:26 UTC
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
I'm trying to install this to a system (with no monitor, mouse,
keyboard using NetOp to access the system) and bumped into the
following problems.
Seems you are on the lucky side these days :-)
Post by Pete Brown
1] The Workplace Shell object titled "Share this folder with samba"
could not be created because the object location "<XWP_CONFIG>" is
invalid.
Looks like someone expects e/xWP to be installed - this needs fixing
as e/xWP is not mandatory on eCS systems.
This is known. I didn't get around implementing an e/xwp check yet.
However this object/feature is absolutely useless with e/xwp.
As in the future there might be more features relying on e/xwp, e/xwp
might become an obligatory prerequisite for Samba Server.
Post by Pete Brown
What would also help would be if it was possible to copy the text of
the error message rather than manually copy everything...
I am not sure what you mean by that....
Post by Pete Brown
I clicked "Ignore" to the above message and was rewarded with the SSCC
app opening and delivering lots of "missing file" errors:-
This is unrelated to the above.

Sigh. So it is still possible... Also this is an issue I have visited
several times in the past and resolved for several cases, obviously
still not for all possibilities.
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Pete Brown
The list went on but I found it quicker to kill sscc and then restart
it - no error messages now.
It is very important that when you rerun sscc.exe you run it with
/install switch.
Post by Pete Brown
Now to figure out how to add users. The lack of useful documentation
is astounding! There is no help and the readme is not of any use
whatsoever.
Right. Problem is, that docs do not write themselves on its own.
This might be a good source http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/FAQ
Post by Pete Brown
How to add a user?
Running sscc /install will create root and guest account for you and
initialize master.passwd and all the required stuff.
After sscc.exe /install has done this, you run smbusers.exe, login as
root and create users, groups....
Post by Pete Brown
I have downloaded the "samba setup" page and am now looking for
something called master.passwd which does not seem to exist anywhere -
certainly did not arrive in this WPI package.
No, it is created during sscc.exe /install
Post by Pete Brown
I tried running smbpassword.exe but that closes immediately that it is
started.
Several possible reasons after the above scenario. Should work after
sscc /install however.
Post by Pete Brown
Maybe samba needs to be running?
No. Not for smbpasswd. smbusers.exe will start it, if it isn't running.
Post by Pete Brown
- Oh, for some useful docs...
Guilty. In the meantime, ask me, I will try to help.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-01-12 13:01:50 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
1] The Workplace Shell object titled "Share this folder with samba"
could not be created because the object location "<XWP_CONFIG>" is
invalid.
Looks like someone expects e/xWP to be installed - this needs fixing
as e/xWP is not mandatory on eCS systems.
This is known. I didn't get around implementing an e/xwp check yet.
However this object/feature is absolutely useless with e/xwp.
As in the future there might be more features relying on e/xwp, e/xwp
might become an obligatory prerequisite for Samba Server.
That would mean simply that samba is not a suitable replacement for OS/2
peer.
Post by Pete Brown
I clicked "Ignore" to the above message and was rewarded with the SSCC
app opening and delivering lots of "missing file" errors:-
This is unrelated to the above.
Sigh. So it is still possible... Also this is an issue I have visited
several times in the past and resolved for several cases, obviously
still not for all possibilities.
I am wondering if the lack of a libc063.dll file will have had any
responsibility there.

Yes, I discovered, belatedly, that the eCS1.2R system used for the samba
server install simply did not have that file installed. The system
involved simply acts as a file server for my lan and is never used as a
"user" system.

Maybe the WPI install could be tweaked to check any required supporting
files are installed?
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Pete Brown
The list went on but I found it quicker to kill sscc and then restart
it - no error messages now.
It is very important that when you rerun sscc.exe you run it with
/install switch.
Ummm...

I just clicked on the executable and successfully imported existing shares.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Now to figure out how to add users. The lack of useful documentation
is astounding! There is no help and the readme is not of any use
whatsoever.
Right. Problem is, that docs do not write themselves on its own.
Pointless releasing any software that requires user configuration if
there is no docs to help the user - so easy for a user to get things
wrong and then blame the "faulty" software.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
This might be a good source http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/FAQ
Not really.

I could manually add users to master.passwd - if I understood exactly
what is required. However there does not seem to be any explanation of
the example line in the master.passwd file.
Post by Pete Brown
- Oh, for some useful docs...
Guilty. In the meantime, ask me, I will try to help.
Regards,
Herwig
Will have another look at this later - as and when I get the time.

Regards

Pete
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-01-12 15:15:23 UTC
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
1] The Workplace Shell object titled "Share this folder with samba"
could not be created because the object location "<XWP_CONFIG>" is
invalid.
Looks like someone expects e/xWP to be installed - this needs fixing
as e/xWP is not mandatory on eCS systems.
This is known. I didn't get around implementing an e/xwp check yet.
However this object/feature is absolutely useless with e/xwp.
As in the future there might be more features relying on e/xwp, e/xwp
might become an obligatory prerequisite for Samba Server.
That would mean simply that samba is not a suitable replacement for
OS/2 peer.
Not necessarily. Problem is: Several features implemented as WPS-Classes
for IBM Peer can only be provided for Samba using e/xwp, as there's
nobody who has the skills and time to reimplement these WPS classes for
Samba. However these features, which are not crucial core functionality
of Samba should go into a separate package, I'd say.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I clicked "Ignore" to the above message and was rewarded with the SSCC
app opening and delivering lots of "missing file" errors:-
This is unrelated to the above.
Sigh. So it is still possible... Also this is an issue I have visited
several times in the past and resolved for several cases, obviously
still not for all possibilities.
I am wondering if the lack of a libc063.dll file will have had any
responsibility there.
AFAIK not. Samba Server comes with it's own libc064x.dll and the only
libc063.dll-dependent file pwd_mkdb.exe was recompiled to also use libc64x.
Post by Pete Brown
Yes, I discovered, belatedly, that the eCS1.2R system used for the
samba server install simply did not have that file installed. The
system involved simply acts as a file server for my lan and is never
used as a "user" system.
Maybe the WPI install could be tweaked to check any required
supporting files are installed?
It does that anyway.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Pete Brown
The list went on but I found it quicker to kill sscc and then restart
it - no error messages now.
It is very important that when you rerun sscc.exe you run it with
/install switch.
Ummm...
I just clicked on the executable and successfully imported existing
shares.
This is not enough. sscc.exe /install does much more than only importing
shares.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
is astounding! There is no help and the readme is not of any use
whatsoever.
Right. Problem is, that docs do not write themselves on its own.
Now to figure out how to add users. The lack of useful documentation
Pointless releasing any software that requires user configuration if
there is no docs to help the user - so easy for a user to get things
wrong and then blame the "faulty" software.
In theory (and that's what normally happens) the installer does that
everything for you
Post by Pete Brown
This might be a good source http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/FAQ
Not really.
I could manually add users to master.passwd - if I understood exactly
what is required. However there does not seem to be any explanation of
the example line in the master.passwd file.
Not true. The netlabs Wiki is the doc at the moment....
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/Cookbook
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax
Post by Pete Brown
- Oh, for some useful docs...
Guilty. In the meantime, ask me, I will try to help.
How to add a user?
Will have another look at this later - as and when I get the time.
Ok.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-01-12 16:33:31 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
Well, I can go along with the explanation but you may find some people
will not accept it.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
What would also help would be if it was possible to copy the text of
the error message rather than manually copy everything...
I am not sure what you mean by that....
Some apps allow error message text to be highlighted/selected and copied
- much easier to do than copying it all manually and less error prone as
well.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
I clicked "Ignore" to the above message and was rewarded with the SSCC
app opening and delivering lots of "missing file" errors:-
This is unrelated to the above.
Sigh. So it is still possible... Also this is an issue I have visited
several times in the past and resolved for several cases, obviously
still not for all possibilities.
I just reinstalled this samba server package over the existing files and
had the same batch of messages - the final few do not contain any
message at all though.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
I am wondering if the lack of a libc063.dll file will have had any
responsibility there.
AFAIK not. Samba Server comes with it's own libc064x.dll and the only
libc063.dll-dependent file pwd_mkdb.exe was recompiled to also use libc64x.
Something else to change in the few docs available then - see mention of
klibc in "How to get going with the Samba Server for eComStation & OS/2".
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Pete Brown
The list went on but I found it quicker to kill sscc and then restart
it - no error messages now.
It is very important that when you rerun sscc.exe you run it with
/install switch.
Ummm...
I just clicked on the executable and successfully imported existing
shares.
This is not enough. sscc.exe /install does much more than only importing
shares.
So I have discovered having just started the app with the /install
parameter I find that I can set the root password - I've just spent a
bit of time trying to find the root password because Samba Users and
Groups wanted it.

Which leads into another question: What is the difference between
smbpasswd and tdbsam in the "Choose backend" section below the password
entry? - and which should I choose based on the lack of information
available?

As this is a bit of an experiment and I can delete it all and start
again I went with the pre-selected tdbsam.

I then tried running Samba Users and Groups again. I entered root and
the just created password. Result: SYS0065: Network access denied.

Ummm...

Maybe I should have changed the preselected backend to smbpasswd...

I ran sscc.exe install again and (hopefully) reset root password and
changed to smbpasswd backend. I still cannot run smbusers.exe, same
error message as above.

I think it is time to uninstall, reinstall and retest.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
This might be a good source http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/FAQ
Not really.
I could manually add users to master.passwd - if I understood exactly
what is required. However there does not seem to be any explanation of
the example line in the master.passwd file.
Not true. The netlabs Wiki is the doc at the moment....
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/Cookbook
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax
I had already found the cookbook - and have no idea how I missed the
MasterPasswdSyntax page... Sorry. Maybe a combination of it being late
at night and me being in too much of a rush...
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Maybe samba needs to be running?
No. Not for smbpasswd. smbusers.exe will start it, if it isn't running.
Trying to start Samba Users and Groups when samba is not running results
in:-

Line 21 of in smbusers.VRM:
+++ ok=PRProcessList(proc);

Clicking OK exits the app.

I think the above was due to the fact that at the time I had not run
sscc.exe /install. I have not managed to get that error message to
reappear since running sscc.exe /install.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind

Pete
Pete Brown
2010-01-12 17:29:02 UTC
Hi Herwig

Ok - I give up.

Having created a root password when I enter that password when prompted
by Samba users and groups I only get the "Network access denied" message.

Obviously something wrong, somewhere...

What am I - or samba - doing wrong?

Regards

Pete
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Pete
Pete Brown
2010-01-12 18:55:44 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Ok - I give up.
Having created a root password when I enter that password when prompted
by Samba users and groups I only get the "Network access denied" message.
Obviously something wrong, somewhere...
What am I - or samba - doing wrong?
Regards
Pete
Well, as I understand the explanation of master.passwd fields here
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax it looks like what
I am doing wrong is supplying a password. The wiki shows this:-

Field : Description : Recommended value when using Samba : Example
"Password : Not used currently : Leave empty or add * as value : *"

I also have to query the requirement for an entry for user HOME. This
system does not have users, ergo no user home for anyone.

Regards

Pete
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Pete
Pete Brown
2010-02-13 15:05:41 UTC
Hi All
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Ok - I give up.
Having created a root password when I enter that password when prompted
by Samba users and groups I only get the "Network access denied" message.
Obviously something wrong, somewhere...
What am I - or samba - doing wrong?
Regards
Pete
Well, as I understand the explanation of master.passwd fields here
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax it looks like what
I am doing wrong is supplying a password. The wiki shows this:-
Field : Description : Recommended value when using Samba : Example
"Password : Not used currently : Leave empty or add * as value : *"
Can someone confirm the above is actually the case.

Regards

Pete
Post by Pete Brown
I also have to query the requirement for an entry for user HOME. This
system does not have users, ergo no user home for anyone.
Regards
Pete
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
There is a log file named smbwpi.log in the root of the bootdrive, I'd
need that to investigate further. Needless to say, it works here (which
of course doesn't really help you).
Post by Pete Brown
Could not find smbd.exe
[..]
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Pete
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-13 17:26:09 UTC
Post by Pete Brown
Hi All
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Ok - I give up.
Having created a root password when I enter that password when prompted
by Samba users and groups I only get the "Network access denied" message.
Obviously something wrong, somewhere...
What am I - or samba - doing wrong?
Regards
Pete
Well, as I understand the explanation of master.passwd fields here
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax it looks like what
I am doing wrong is supplying a password. The wiki shows this:-
Field : Description : Recommended value when using Samba : Example
"Password : Not used currently : Leave empty or add * as value : *"
Can someone confirm the above is actually the case.
Yes, that is correct.

We are only using Samba passwords, not the klibc Unix emulation password.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-14 11:34:03 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi All
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
Sorry but the explanation means nothing to me...

I did get samba server working yesterday by the simple expedient of not
creating a root account. I did setup a user account with a password.

I could then access the shares using OS/2 Peer but not EVFSgui which
reported "incorrect parameter" and "access denied" errors. The
username/password used by EVFSgui and OS/2 Peer is the same as the user
account on the server.

Regards

Pete
Doug Bissett
2010-02-14 19:14:36 UTC
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:34:03 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I could then access the shares using OS/2 Peer but not EVFSgui which
reported "incorrect parameter" and "access denied" errors. The
username/password used by EVFSgui and OS/2 Peer is the same as the user
account on the server.
Check POPUPLOG.OS2. This is what I see (only with EVFSGUI 2.03) when
EVFSCTL.EXE crashes.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-15 08:18:32 UTC
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/Cookbook was extended recently.
Post by Pete Brown
I did get samba server working yesterday by the simple expedient of
not creating a root account. I did setup a user account with a password.
Sigh. You will definitely need "root" and "guest" accounts.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-15 17:18:42 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I did get samba server working yesterday by the simple expedient of
not creating a root account. I did setup a user account with a password.
Sigh. You will definitely need "root" and "guest" accounts.
Regards,
Herwig
Interesting.

I did have samba server 1.0.3 working fine with OS/2 Peer with no "root"
account.

It did not work with EVFSgui 2.0.3 though and displayed various errors
such as "incorrect parameter" and "access denied". This may be a problem
with EVFSgui 2.0.3 as trying to access samba server resulted in several
os2popup.log entries.

I must admit that I am not very keen on having a "root" account that is
not password protected.

Regards

Pete
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-15 17:39:23 UTC
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I did get samba server working yesterday by the simple expedient of
not creating a root account. I did setup a user account with a password.
Sigh. You will definitely need "root" and "guest" accounts.
Interesting.
I did have samba server 1.0.3 working fine with OS/2 Peer with no
"root" account.
It did not work with EVFSgui 2.0.3 though and displayed various errors
such as "incorrect parameter" and "access denied". This may be a
problem with EVFSgui 2.0.3 as trying to access samba server resulted
in several os2popup.log entries.
I must admit that I am not very keen on having a "root" account that
is not password protected.
Why on earth should you want the root account not to be password
protected? It definitely should be password protected...
The guest account is the one without password (but it should have very
restricted right because of that). Nevertheless it is required.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-15 18:35:48 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I did get samba server working yesterday by the simple expedient of
not creating a root account. I did setup a user account with a password.
Sigh. You will definitely need "root" and "guest" accounts.
Interesting.
I did have samba server 1.0.3 working fine with OS/2 Peer with no
"root" account.
It did not work with EVFSgui 2.0.3 though and displayed various errors
such as "incorrect parameter" and "access denied". This may be a
problem with EVFSgui 2.0.3 as trying to access samba server resulted
in several os2popup.log entries.
I must admit that I am not very keen on having a "root" account that
is not password protected.
Why on earth should you want the root account not to be password
protected? It definitely should be password protected...
Make your mind up.

Either root has no password or a "*" as password - you confirmed that in
the above:-
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Field : Description : Recommended value when using Samba : Example
"Password : Not used currently : Leave empty or add * as value : *"
Can someone confirm the above is actually the case.
Yes, that is correct.
The guest account is the one without password (but it should have very
restricted right because of that). Nevertheless it is required.
I definitely would not want a "Guest" account at all.

As it currently stands I can login to Samba Users and Groups using guest
with no password and create Users with passwords. That seems to be very
insecure to me.

Maybe this will change in the future?

When I did have a "root" account and entered a password for root I could
*Not* login to Samba Users and Groups as the password I had entered
during SSCC was *Not* accepted.

Regards

Pete
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Regards,
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-02-15 23:23:30 UTC
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:35:48 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
I think you have a very screwed up installation...

I had similar problems some time back. The answer was to uninstall
SAMBA, remove all traces of it, and re-install it using the WarpIn
installer. After doing that, the first attempt to start up the Users
and groups applet demanded a root password. which was supplied. It
also created a Guest account, which can be set to "Account
deactivated", which seems to keep it happy, and unavailable. I also
seem to recall, that using a parameter of /INSTALL with the SSCC
program will cause it to reinitialize the password table (it also
removes any password that you do have defined, if I remember
correctly).
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Pete Brown
2010-02-15 23:32:24 UTC
Hi Doug
Post by Doug Bissett
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:35:48 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
Possibly - but as supplied by the samba 1.0.3 wpi package.
Post by Doug Bissett
I had similar problems some time back. The answer was to uninstall
SAMBA, remove all traces of it, and re-install it using the WarpIn
installer.
Been there, done that, no change.

Post by Doug Bissett
and groups applet demanded a root password. which was supplied.
Yes, got to there OK.

It
Post by Doug Bissett
also created a Guest account, which can be set to "Account
deactivated", which seems to keep it happy, and unavailable. I also
seem to recall, that using a parameter of /INSTALL with the SSCC
program will cause it to reinitialize the password table (it also
removes any password that you do have defined, if I remember
correctly).
The problem is that the root password I supply during sscc.exe /install
is not accepted by the Users and Groups bit.

I can reinstall as often as I have time and the situation does not
change. Only by not having a root account can I get anywhere with this
package.

Regards

Pete
Doug Bissett
2010-02-16 00:14:49 UTC
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:32:24 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
The problem is that the root password I supply during sscc.exe /install
is not accepted by the Users and Groups bit.
I assume that you have tried different passwords. I use a 6 character
password (all alpha), which seems to work fine. One thing that does
happen, is that SAMBA Users & Groups (SUG) defaults to trying whatever
you have the USER environment variable set to, in CONFIG.SYS, as a
user ID. In my case, that is not a valid user, so SUG complains, and
when I reply, it switches to the root user, which accepts my password.
Perhaps your USER environment variable is something that SUG thinks is
a valid user, but it may not be an administrator user. I use the
DRAGTEXT facility to change USER to USER=root in the Environment
section of the icon (part of DRAGTEXT), and then it just goes straight
to root. You could use a wrapper around the program to add:
SET USER=root
before starting SUG.
Post by Pete Brown
I can reinstall as often as I have time and the situation does not
change. Only by not having a root account can I get anywhere with this
package.
That was part of my original problem. Somewhere, something was
remembering part of my older SAMBA setup, and that was causing
trouble. Only after I tracked down, and nuked, every last bit of what
SAMBA had previously created, would it cooperate. I don't remember all
of the places where I found parts of it, but after doing that, it
started to work.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-16 07:57:55 UTC
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
Please, Pete, you can savely assume, I know what I am talking about (at
least most of the time).

The information stored in master.passwd IN NOT USED for authentification
in Samba.

Keep in mind that Samba is a port of a Unix software.

On Unix the system user/passwords are stored in master.passwd. Samba has
to be able to talk to Windows systems, the Unix user/password
infrastructure in not suitable for that purpose - so Samba creates its
own, which is almost (but not completely) independent from the Unix
system user/password infrastructure.

On OS/2 there is no such thing as a system user/password infrastructure,
remember OS/2 is a single user OS.

On OS/2 the klibc Runtime (found in libc063.dll and libc064x.dll)
provides a Unix emulation layer. The information stored in master.passwd
is just there to make programs, such as Samba, which rely on its
presence, to be happy. The user/password infrastructure that Samba
creates, synchronizes several bits of information with master.passwd
(check the usermod.cmd to exactly see what it does and what it does
not). The password is not syncronized and completely independent. On
OS/2 there is no software that ever evaluates the password stored in
master.passwd, that's why none is required. When Samba Server asks for
credentials it checks them against its own user/password database, found
in whatever backend is used by Samba (smbpasswd, tdbsam).

Samba requires 2 accounts as a basis:
- The 'root' account, with a secure password, as it may do anything. The
Samba server processes run in this users context. If it is not present
(it is on every single Unix system in the world), unpredictable things
may happen. I know of several, but there is no list of
definitive/likely/possible failures and I have no intention to create
such a list.
- The 'guest' account, with no password. It is up to you to configure
what the guest account may do and what not. Read the Samba docs,
everything found there also applies to our port in this respect. The
guest account's privilegues are used for browsing to work per default,
for printing, and several other things.

I'd also recommend to create a 3rd account, 'pete' or whatever and set
the USER enviroment variable to point to this account.

There is no point to discuss anything that happens on a Samba Server for
eCS, that does not have at least these 2 obligatory accounts properly
working.

Will this change in the future? In case you convince the Samba people,
we will happily port it to OS/2. Otherwise: No.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-16 23:33:33 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Ok - I give up.
Having created a root password when I enter that password when prompted
by Samba users and groups I only get the "Network access denied" message.
Obviously something wrong, somewhere...
What am I - or samba - doing wrong?
Well, as I understand the explanation of master.passwd fields here
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/MasterPasswdSyntax it looks like what
I am doing wrong is supplying a password. The wiki shows this:-
Field : Description : Recommended value when using Samba : Example
"Password : Not used currently : Leave empty or add * as value : *"
Can someone confirm the above is actually the case.
Yes, that is correct.
We are only using Samba passwords, not the klibc Unix emulation password.
Sorry but the explanation means nothing to me...
http://svn.netlabs.org/samba/wiki/Cookbook was extended recently.
Does not seem to be extended in respect of installing from WPI package...
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
That could well be the problem - you know what you are talking about but
I'm not getting the gist of it.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
The information stored in master.passwd IN NOT USED for authentification
in Samba.
Right - that is straight over my head.
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Keep in mind that Samba is a port of a Unix software.
On Unix the system user/passwords are stored in master.passwd. Samba has
to be able to talk to Windows systems, the Unix user/password
infrastructure in not suitable for that purpose - so Samba creates its
own, which is almost (but not completely) independent from the Unix
system user/password infrastructure.
Do I understand the above to mean that master.passwd exists solely for
compatibility with *nix systems and is not actually used by samba?
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
On OS/2 there is no such thing as a system user/password infrastructure,
remember OS/2 is a single user OS.
On OS/2 the klibc Runtime (found in libc063.dll and libc064x.dll)
provides a Unix emulation layer. The information stored in master.passwd
is just there to make programs, such as Samba, which rely on its
presence, to be happy. The user/password infrastructure that Samba
creates, synchronizes several bits of information with master.passwd
(check the usermod.cmd to exactly see what it does and what it does
not). The password is not syncronized and completely independent. On
OS/2 there is no software that ever evaluates the password stored in
master.passwd, that's why none is required. When Samba Server asks for
credentials it checks them against its own user/password database, found
in whatever backend is used by Samba (smbpasswd, tdbsam).
Clarify this:

When I install samba server from WPI we get to the sscc.exe /install
stage and I am asked to supply a password for root - if I use a root
account.

Having run through the sscc.exe /install stage successfully and entered
a root password I then try to run "Samba Users and Groups". This asks
for a root password.

If I enter the password created during sscc.exe /install "Samba Users
and Groups" fails to run as the password is rejected.

What should I put in when "Samba Users and Groups" asks for root
password? Is this where the password is either nothing or "*"?

Regards

Pete
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-02-17 05:06:13 UTC
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:33:33 UTC, Pete Brown
<losepete-XZoyATsUNX5Wk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

...snip...
Post by Pete Brown
When I install samba server from WPI we get to the sscc.exe /install
stage and I am asked to supply a password for root - if I use a root
account.
It is not "if" you use a root account. You need a root account, called
"root".
Post by Pete Brown
Having run through the sscc.exe /install stage successfully and entered
a root password I then try to run "Samba Users and Groups". This asks
for a root password.
So far so good. I assume that the open password window says it is
using "root" (without the quotes) for the ID. If not, change it to
"root".
Post by Pete Brown
If I enter the password created during sscc.exe /install "Samba Users
and Groups" fails to run as the password is rejected.
That still sounds like what I had, before I uninstalled every last
trace of SAMBA, and installed it new. Unfortunately, I don't remember
what it was that finally fixed the problem. There was some file,
somewhere, that should not have been there. It was left over from an
early version of SAMBA.
Post by Pete Brown
What should I put in when "Samba Users and Groups" asks for root
password? Is this where the password is either nothing or "*"?
No, you need to use the password, exactly as you entered it when you
defined it with SSCC /INSTALL. Upper/lower case counts.
Post by Pete Brown
Regards
Just a thought: Do you have a line:
SET USER=<something>
in your CONFIG.SYS? Try changing that to, or add:
SET USER=root
and reboot before trying Samba Users and Groups again. Works for me...
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-17 08:27:53 UTC
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Keep in mind that Samba is a port of a Unix software.
On Unix the system user/passwords are stored in master.passwd. Samba
has to be able to talk to Windows systems, the Unix user/password
infrastructure in not suitable for that purpose - so Samba creates
its own, which is almost (but not completely) independent from the
Unix system user/password infrastructure.
Do I understand the above to mean that master.passwd exists solely for
compatibility with *nix systems and is not actually used by samba?
Yes, almost. Samba only duplicates a few informations found in there
(but not password), that's why it should in sync with the correpsonding
Samba files (located in %etc%\samba\private and not user editable). One
of the (many) jobs smbusers.exe, usermod.cmd and groupmod.cmd do is to
keep those files in sync. Basically there is no need at all to manually
fiddle with master.passwd.

In case you modified master.passwd manually, did you rebuild pwd.db and
spwd.db

In case you did not - run usermod.cmd without any parameter to rebuild them.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
[...]
Yes. Future release will not disallow the creation anymore, because this
only make sense in situation when a root account already exists.
Post by Pete Brown
Having run through the sscc.exe /install stage successfully and
entered a root password I then try to run "Samba Users and Groups".
This asks for a root password.
If I enter the password created during sscc.exe /install "Samba Users
and Groups" fails to run as the password is rejected.
What should I put in when "Samba Users and Groups" asks for root
password? Is this where the password is either nothing or "*"?
No. You should provide the password the provided in sscc.exe /install
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
- The 'root' account, with a secure password, as it may do anything.
The Samba server processes run in this users context. If it is not
present (it is on every single Unix system in the world),
unpredictable things may happen. I know of several, but there is no
list of definitive/likely/possible failures and I have no intention
to create such a list.
I'd recommend to follow Doug recommendation and uninstall Samba using
the unistall feature of Warpin. Upon deinstallationa little program of
mine is called that asks whether every single trace of Samba should be
removed from the system. Choose yes and reboot afterwards.

Then try reinstalling using the WPI.

Regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-17 19:18:51 UTC
Hi Doug and Herwig

Firstly: Thank you both for having the patience to persist with helping
me get samba server up and running.

Secondly: Hope you don't mind me "top posting" this.

Another attempt at getting samba server 1.0.3 running properly.

I had another look at samba server today.

I logged into "Samba users and groups' as guest (no password) to check
the user previously added.

This user has no password set for some strange reason.

I entered the Password, and the Repeat Password and clicked Save.

I was rewarded with the below error message which I have not seen before:-

Line 28 of PB_upSave_Click in smbusers. VRM:
+++ If
length(VRget('EF_password', 'Value'))<
MinPWLength

Clicking OK to the message exits "samba users and groups" - not the best
option here. Surely it would be better to simply close the error message
- in fact, it would probably be better if the error message stated what
the problem is in plain language so that the user knows what they did wrong.

I guess there is a minimum Password length and 7 chars is not long enough?

Checking the %TEMP% location I find it filling up with files called
smb_err.xxx and smb_msg.xxx (where xxx is a sequence of 3 numbers). All
these files are empty and are obviously not needed. Please sort samba
server out to delete these files after creation - there is no point in
having them cluttering up the drive.

To try and get to grips with samba server I totally uninstalled samba
1.0.3 using Warpin and then had a rummage around the drive to remove any
traces missed by Warpin - including the mess of samba related files in
%TEMP%.

NOTE: config.sys configuration is *not* undone as claimed during the
Warpin Uninstall - the SET UNIXROOT line was not removed from the
config.sys file.

Possibly worth noting here: My previous attempts to uninstall/reinstall
this package did not include cleaning the %TEMP% directory. Maybe
something in that directory prevented successful reinstallation of the
package?

I then rebooted and ran the samba 1.0.3 install again and all seemed to
go well - apart from the sharewiz.exe object not being created due to a
dependency on software not installed (xWP). I clicked Ignore to that
message.

Simple Samba Configuration Center then started and I entered a Password
for the root account.

A question: What is the difference between the "backends" smbpasswd and
tdbsam? - I went with the pre-selected tdbsam but would like to know
what the difference is for future installs.

I left the "Server type" as the pre-selected Standalone and clicked
"Migrate IBM Peer/LANServer configuration".

This resulted in some messages that look good:-

Created user root
Created user guest
Created c:\mptn\etc\samba\lmhosts
and finally
Please, close this program in order to complete installation - I clicked
OK, closed the program and Warpin finished.

I then opened the Samba Server desktop folder - this has a url for
"SYS0317: The system cannot find message 0035 in message file
C:\VAR\TEMP\SMBWPI_EN.MSG"

As the file exists I can only guess that message 0035 is not in the file?

I attempted to run Samba users and groups. This asked for a login which
I gave as root with the password entered during the SSCC part of the
install. That worked!

I now suspect the problems I had with this previously were related to
password length - in previous installs SSCC had accepted root passwords
of 7 chars length without any complaint - this time I used a longer
password based on the error message from Samba users and groups
displayed above.

On to "Add User".

A question: what is the option "Machine Account"? - and why does it not
respond to being clicked? When I click on the Unchecked checkbox it
stays Unchecked; surely it should become Checked.

I created a new user and entered a password, saved the details and
exited Samba Users and Groups.

In theory if I now run EVFSgui with the new user name and password I
should be able to connect to the samba shares.

Shame that does not work in practice...

Having started EVFSgui the Network neighbourhood view is populated with
my network. Brilliant! - No need for a Windows system to be running on
the network then.

I dragged the icon of DISKZONE (system with samba server installed) to
the Current Resources panel which popped up the "Mount to" window. I
selected drive U:\DISKZONE and then completed the Login detail as per
the new user on the samba server and clicked OK.

Result: SYS0065: Network access is denied.

I tried again and got a different result: The parameter is incorrect.

OK...

I then tried to mount DISKZONE using Dialog View.

Mount: All shares on server
Server: DISKZONE
Workgroup: THEBROWNS

User ID: as per new user on server
Password: as per new user on server

Mount to: U:\DISKZONE

Result: The parameter is incorrect.

Explanation:-

Mount ***@THEBROWNS\\DISKZONE\ to U:\DISKZONE
The parameter is incorrect.

I hope the above means something to someone?

Here is the chunk of log to go with the attempt to mount DISKZONE using
Dialog View:-

network = NETWORK
16:39:32 Mount procedure started
16:39:32 MyFreeDriveMap(proc) started
16:39:32 MyFreeDriveMap(proc) done, result "M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U:
X: Y: Z: "
16:39:32 ok = EVFSRxAttach( vfs.!drive )
16:39:32 Attach "U:" = 0
16:39:32 CreateMP = EVFSRxCreateMountPoint( vfs.!mountpoint )
16:39:32 Create "U:\DISKZONE" = 0
16:39:32 ParseResourceData started
receiving "U:\DISKZONE" "SMBFS SMBFS64
\\THEBROWNS:DISKZONE\@LOSEPETE;WORKGROUP=THEBROWNS;SERVER=DISKZONE;USER=LOSEPETE;PASSWORD=NRB060260;EASUPPORT=1
W" length (127)
returning "U:\DISKZONE;THEBROWNS:\\DISKZONE\*"
16:39:32 ParseresdataData done
16:39:32 ok = EVFSRxMount('smbfs', vfs.!mountpoint, src, rwFlag)
16:39:32 Mount "U:\DISKZONE" = 87
16:45:27 Mount procedure done
16:45:27 Refresh started
#68:PMWP.DLL
Remove records, disable buttons done.
16:45:27 MyFreeDriveMap(proc) started
16:45:27 MyFreeDriveMap(proc) done, result "M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U:
X: Y: Z: "
16:45:27 GetMountPoints started
16:45:27 GetMountPoints done
16:45:27 Refresh done
16:45:27 PB_MOUNT_Click done

This bit looks right:-

" receiving "U:\DISKZONE" "SMBFS SMBFS64
\\THEBROWNS:DISKZONE\@LOSEPETE;WORKGROUP=THEBROWNS;SERVER=DISKZONE;USER=LOSEPETE;PASSWORD=NRB060260;EASUPPORT=1
W" length (127)"

Look like PMWP.DLL is involved... Is #68:PMWP.DLL where the attempt to
mount DISKZONE goes wrong?

I can access DISKZONE (running samba server) using OS/2 Peer.

Out of interest I just looked in \\DISKZONE\%TEMP% and already have a
growing collection of samba related files:-

17-02-10 3:22p 262 0 a--- group
17-02-10 3:22p 324 0 a--- master.passwd
17-02-10 3:33p 730 0 a--- netgrouplist.txt
17-02-10 3:33p 1,657 0 a--- netgroupmap.txt
28-12-09 6:04p 5,281 0 a--- smbwpi_en.msg
17-02-10 1:48p 0 0 a--- smb_err.585
17-02-10 3:19p 0 0 a--- smb_err.737
17-02-10 1:47p 138 0 a--- smb_msg.110
17-02-10 3:19p 14 0 a--- smb_msg.262
17-02-10 1:20p 388 0 a--- sscc.testparm
17-02-10 3:22p 841 0 a--- UserProperties.txt

Should samba server be writing all these files to %TEMP%?

Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but am
stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.

Regards

Pete
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Herwig
Doug Bissett
2010-02-17 22:17:06 UTC
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:18:51 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Doug and Herwig
Firstly: Thank you both for having the patience to persist with helping
me get samba server up and running.
It does work, so you must have had something wrong, somewhere. I will
respond to some of the comments below...
Post by Pete Brown
Secondly: Hope you don't mind me "top posting" this.
Another attempt at getting samba server 1.0.3 running properly.
I had another look at samba server today.
I logged into "Samba users and groups' as guest (no password) to check
the user previously added.
This user has no password set for some strange reason.
I entered the Password, and the Repeat Password and clicked Save.
I was rewarded with the below error message which I have not seen before:-
+++ If
length(VRget('EF_password', 'Value'))<
MinPWLength
Clicking OK to the message exits "samba users and groups" - not the best
option here. Surely it would be better to simply close the error message
- in fact, it would probably be better if the error message stated what
the problem is in plain language so that the user knows what they did wrong.
I don't know what else could be done, when the program seems to have
crashed. This doesn't look, to me, like auser error, but I am not an
expert.
Post by Pete Brown
I guess there is a minimum Password length and 7 chars is not long enough?
I am using a 6 character password.
Post by Pete Brown
Checking the %TEMP% location I find it filling up with files called
smb_err.xxx and smb_msg.xxx (where xxx is a sequence of 3 numbers). All
these files are empty and are obviously not needed. Please sort samba
server out to delete these files after creation - there is no point in
having them cluttering up the drive.
Hmmm. So it is. Obviously it has been some time since I inspected the
%TEMP% directory. It looks like there is a combination of SAMBA, SSCC,
SUG, and EVFSGUI stuff in there. Some of it may have been left behind
by crashes, so I don't know what the program may be leaving behind
otherwise, but it does seem to be a considerable amount of junk.
Post by Pete Brown
To try and get to grips with samba server I totally uninstalled samba
1.0.3 using Warpin and then had a rummage around the drive to remove any
traces missed by Warpin - including the mess of samba related files in
%TEMP%.
NOTE: config.sys configuration is *not* undone as claimed during the
Warpin Uninstall - the SET UNIXROOT line was not removed from the
config.sys file.
Did you ever change that manually, after installing using WarpIn. If
you did, the line would not match what the installer had done, so it
would not be removed. (Just a guess). It does appear that WarpIn does
track that change, and should have undone it, unless something was
changed.

In fact, SET UNIXROOT can be used for multiple programs, and it isn't
always good to have it pointing to x:\MPTN. In fact, it would make a
lot more sense if it pointed to the SAMBA root directory, for the
SAMBA stuff, however, that is one of the annoying things that *NIX
programs seem to demand. All we can do, is put a wrapper around the
various programs, to set UNIXROOT to something that makes more sense
in the OS/2 world.
Post by Pete Brown
Possibly worth noting here: My previous attempts to uninstall/reinstall
this package did not include cleaning the %TEMP% directory. Maybe
something in that directory prevented successful reinstallation of the
package?
It shouldn't, but it is difficult to say for sure.
Post by Pete Brown
I then rebooted and ran the samba 1.0.3 install again and all seemed to
go well - apart from the sharewiz.exe object not being created due to a
dependency on software not installed (xWP). I clicked Ignore to that
message.
Hmmm. The installer should check to see if XWP or eWP is installed,
before attempting to use the facilities supplied by that.
Post by Pete Brown
Simple Samba Configuration Center then started and I entered a Password
for the root account.
A question: What is the difference between the "backends" smbpasswd and
tdbsam? - I went with the pre-selected tdbsam but would like to know
what the difference is for future installs.
Don't know, but this would seem to be a case where "let the program do
as it wants to do" would apply.
Post by Pete Brown
I left the "Server type" as the pre-selected Standalone and clicked
"Migrate IBM Peer/LANServer configuration".
I have tried this both ways. The migrate option does seem to work
fine, and eliminates the need to add shares manually (which is no big
deal anyway).
Post by Pete Brown
This resulted in some messages that look good:-
Created user root
Created user guest
Created c:\mptn\etc\samba\lmhosts
and finally
Please, close this program in order to complete installation - I clicked
OK, closed the program and Warpin finished.
I then opened the Samba Server desktop folder - this has a url for
"SYS0317: The system cannot find message 0035 in message file
C:\VAR\TEMP\SMBWPI_EN.MSG"
As the file exists I can only guess that message 0035 is not in the file?
Hmmm. I forgot about that. I haven't scrolled that far over for a long
time. I expect that message 0035 is simply the name that should be
attached to that icon, wich seems to be the URL for Herwig's web site.
It is certainly not going to cause a problem, but it should be fixed.
Post by Pete Brown
I attempted to run Samba users and groups. This asked for a login which
I gave as root with the password entered during the SSCC part of the
install. That worked!
Great!
Post by Pete Brown
I now suspect the problems I had with this previously were related to
password length - in previous installs SSCC had accepted root passwords
of 7 chars length without any complaint - this time I used a longer
password based on the error message from Samba users and groups
displayed above.
I don't know what that is all about. I use a 6 character (all alpha)
password, with no problem.
Post by Pete Brown
On to "Add User".
A question: what is the option "Machine Account"? - and why does it not
respond to being clicked? When I click on the Unchecked checkbox it
stays Unchecked; surely it should become Checked.
Something I never tried, since I want to use USER access controls.

Be careful with check boxes. I have found that some programs seem to
have a problem with repainting those things, sometimes. The problem
shows up when using SMP, and also with Panorama. I have seen the
problem mostly with BackAgain/2000, and Virtual PC, but other things
do it too. It seems that you can click on the box, but it doesn't
change. Force the program to repaint the window, and you find that it
is, in fact, changed. I have no idea why that happens, and I don't
know if that is the case here.
Post by Pete Brown
I created a new user and entered a password, saved the details and
exited Samba Users and Groups.
In theory if I now run EVFSgui with the new user name and password I
should be able to connect to the samba shares.
True.
Post by Pete Brown
Shame that does not work in practice...
Works for me...
Post by Pete Brown
I dragged the icon of DISKZONE (system with samba server installed) to
the Current Resources panel which popped up the "Mount to" window. I
selected drive U:\DISKZONE and then completed the Login detail as per
the new user on the samba server and clicked OK.
Result: SYS0065: Network access is denied.
I haven't seen that one...

AH! Did you restart the server after adding the ID and password?
Post by Pete Brown
I tried again and got a different result: The parameter is incorrect.
Did this result in an entry in POPUPLOG.OS2?
Post by Pete Brown
OK...
I then tried to mount DISKZONE using Dialog View.
Mount: All shares on server
Server: DISKZONE
Workgroup: THEBROWNS
User ID: as per new user on server
Password: as per new user on server
Mount to: U:\DISKZONE
Result: The parameter is incorrect.
Sounds like the bad DLL problem...
Explanation:-
Post by Pete Brown
I can access DISKZONE (running samba server) using OS/2 Peer.
Be very careful when doing that. It seems that PEER and SAMBA don't
work well together.
Post by Pete Brown
Out of interest I just looked in \\DISKZONE\%TEMP% and already have a
growing collection of samba related files:-
17-02-10 3:22p 262 0 a--- group
17-02-10 3:22p 324 0 a--- master.passwd
17-02-10 3:33p 730 0 a--- netgrouplist.txt
17-02-10 3:33p 1,657 0 a--- netgroupmap.txt
28-12-09 6:04p 5,281 0 a--- smbwpi_en.msg
17-02-10 1:48p 0 0 a--- smb_err.585
17-02-10 3:19p 0 0 a--- smb_err.737
17-02-10 1:47p 138 0 a--- smb_msg.110
17-02-10 3:19p 14 0 a--- smb_msg.262
17-02-10 1:20p 388 0 a--- sscc.testparm
17-02-10 3:22p 841 0 a--- UserProperties.txt
Should samba server be writing all these files to %TEMP%?
Better there than in other places, but they really should be removed,
although you seem to have had a crash, so that may be why they are
left behind.
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but am
stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
Try the varous versions of ndpsmb.dll. I have found that the one that
gets installed with the WPI works in all cases, but the newer ones
won't work on my quad core machine (not sure if that really has
anything to do with it). The newer versions of EVFSGUI seem to work
fine with the older DLL.
Post by Pete Brown
Regards
Pete
...snip...

It seems that you are getting closer. Perhaps Herwig can fill in a few
of the blanks.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Pete Brown
2010-02-18 00:17:26 UTC
Hi Doug
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
You could well be right - I'm just looking at the wording of the message
and thinking it is password related; "MinPWLength" seems to indicate
there is minimum length for a password. Obviously my guesses could be
well wrong :-)
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
I guess there is a minimum Password length and 7 chars is not long enough?
I am using a 6 character password.
Well, that blows 1 theory as to why I could not get this working previously.
Post by Pete Brown
To try and get to grips with samba server I totally uninstalled samba
1.0.3 using Warpin and then had a rummage around the drive to remove any
traces missed by Warpin - including the mess of samba related files in
%TEMP%.
NOTE: config.sys configuration is *not* undone as claimed during the
Warpin Uninstall - the SET UNIXROOT line was not removed from the
config.sys file.
Did you ever change that manually, after installing using WarpIn. If
you did, the line would not match what the installer had done, so it
would not be removed. (Just a guess). It does appear that WarpIn does
track that change, and should have undone it, unless something was
changed.
I think Warpin gets the files the wrong way round and the config.xxx
backup has that line removed. I'll have to doublecheck that later.
Post by Pete Brown
I now suspect the problems I had with this previously were related to
password length - in previous installs SSCC had accepted root passwords
of 7 chars length without any complaint - this time I used a longer
password based on the error message from Samba users and groups
displayed above.
I don't know what that is all about. I use a 6 character (all alpha)
password, with no problem.
The other possibility is that something in %TEMP% was causing a problem.
Post by Pete Brown
I dragged the icon of DISKZONE (system with samba server installed) to
the Current Resources panel which popped up the "Mount to" window. I
selected drive U:\DISKZONE and then completed the Login detail as per
the new user on the samba server and clicked OK.
Result: SYS0065: Network access is denied.
I haven't seen that one...
AH! Did you restart the server after adding the ID and password?
Yes.
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
I tried again and got a different result: The parameter is incorrect.
Did this result in an entry in POPUPLOG.OS2?
Silly me, I should have checked that. Yes, lots - due to the number of
times I tried to get EVFSgui to connect.
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
OK...
I then tried to mount DISKZONE using Dialog View.
Mount: All shares on server
Server: DISKZONE
Workgroup: THEBROWNS
User ID: as per new user on server
Password: as per new user on server
Mount to: U:\DISKZONE
Result: The parameter is incorrect.
Sounds like the bad DLL problem...
I'll swap that out for the build that Herwig has just made available and
see what happens.
Post by Pete Brown
I can access DISKZONE (running samba server) using OS/2 Peer.
Be very careful when doing that. It seems that PEER and SAMBA don't
work well together.
Well, I know that EVFSgui can have problems accessing OS/2 Peer shares
so guess I'll soon find out if the reverse applies.
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but am
stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
Try the varous versions of ndpsmb.dll. I have found that the one that
gets installed with the WPI works in all cases, but the newer ones
won't work on my quad core machine (not sure if that really has
anything to do with it). The newer versions of EVFSGUI seem to work
fine with the older DLL.
If the latest dll file does not work I'll backlevel it to the last WPI
release and see if that helps.
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
Regards
Pete
...snip...
It seems that you are getting closer. Perhaps Herwig can fill in a few
of the blanks.
Thanks Doug.

Regards

Pete
Doug Bissett
2010-02-18 03:34:50 UTC
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:17:26 UTC, Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Doug
Post by Pete Brown
[...]
:-)
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
To try and get to grips with samba server I totally uninstalled samba
1.0.3 using Warpin and then had a rummage around the drive to remove any
traces missed by Warpin - including the mess of samba related files in
%TEMP%.
NOTE: config.sys configuration is *not* undone as claimed during the
Warpin Uninstall - the SET UNIXROOT line was not removed from the
config.sys file.
Did you ever change that manually, after installing using WarpIn. If
you did, the line would not match what the installer had done, so it
would not be removed. (Just a guess). It does appear that WarpIn does
track that change, and should have undone it, unless something was
changed.
I think Warpin gets the files the wrong way round and the config.xxx
backup has that line removed. I'll have to doublecheck that later.
I think that can happen, if you tell it to not change the real
CONFIG.SYS, but make another file with the changes. Check your WarpIn
settings, it may not be doing what you think it is doing.
Post by Pete Brown
I now suspect the problems I had with this previously were related to
password length - in previous installs SSCC had accepted root passwords
of 7 chars length without any complaint - this time I used a longer
password based on the error message from Samba users and groups
displayed above.
I don't know what that is all about. I use a 6 character (all alpha)
password, with no problem.
The other possibility is that something in %TEMP% was causing a problem.
Could have been something else that got uninstalled too. We will
probably never know for sure, unles you have a complete system backup
from before you uninstalled SAMBA.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
OK...
I then tried to mount DISKZONE using Dialog View.
Mount: All shares on server
Server: DISKZONE
Workgroup: THEBROWNS
User ID: as per new user on server
Password: as per new user on server
Mount to: U:\DISKZONE
Result: The parameter is incorrect.
Sounds like the bad DLL problem...
I'll swap that out for the build that Herwig has just made available and
see what happens.
That one didn't help me. I had to go back to the older one that came
with the WPI file.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
I can access DISKZONE (running samba server) using OS/2 Peer.
Be very careful when doing that. It seems that PEER and SAMBA don't
work well together.
Well, I know that EVFSgui can have problems accessing OS/2 Peer shares
so guess I'll soon find out if the reverse applies.
When I was doing some testing, I found that the PEER support would not
show all of the files in a directory shared by SAMBA. The one where I
noticed it had over 300 files in it. PEER showed about 36. That
applied to both the Drives object, and the command line.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but am
stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
Try the varous versions of ndpsmb.dll. I have found that the one that
gets installed with the WPI works in all cases, but the newer ones
won't work on my quad core machine (not sure if that really has
anything to do with it). The newer versions of EVFSGUI seem to work
fine with the older DLL.
If the latest dll file does not work I'll backlevel it to the last WPI
release and see if that helps.
Latest dll works fine with all of my single processor machines. It
doesn't work (crashes EVFSCTL.EXE) with my quad core machine. I do use
SMP mode on my T43, which is a single processor (SMP wanabe), and it
works there, so it isn't the SMP kernel that does it. I am not sure if
the quad core is the cause of the problem, or if something else is
doing it.

I am using the EVFSGUI.EXE from the
evfsgui-203-20100216-debug-test.zip file. It seems to work fine with
the old dll.
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Pete Brown
Regards
Pete
...snip...
It seems that you are getting closer. Perhaps Herwig can fill in a few
of the blanks.
Thanks Doug.
Regards
Pete
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-18 08:25:59 UTC
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
Firstly: Thank you both for having the patience to persist with
helping me get samba server up and running.
I know Samba setup is still a complicated story, I do the best to make
it as easy as possible. Negative experiences usually lead to a better
installation procedure ....
Post by Pete Brown
+++ If
length(VRget('EF_password', 'Value'))<
MinPWLength
This was a bug in smbusers.exe - I could reprocduce it here, and the bug
is fixed meanwhile. Expect an updated smbusers.exe later today.
Post by Pete Brown
I guess there is a minimum Password length and 7 chars is not long enough?
The default minimum length is 5 chars, this is changeable using the
policies page. It may always be longer but not shorter.
Post by Pete Brown
Checking the %TEMP% location I find it filling up with files called
smb_err.xxx and smb_msg.xxx (where xxx is a sequence of 3 numbers).
All these files are empty and are obviously not needed. Please sort
samba server out to delete these files after creation - there is no
point in having them cluttering up the drive.
These smb_err.??? and smb_msg.??? files come from the Samba GUI tools
(sscc, smbusers, smbmon). These are normally remove, your result from
crashes I'd say.
Post by Pete Brown
NOTE: config.sys configuration is *not* undone as claimed during the
Warpin Uninstall - the SET UNIXROOT line was not removed from the
config.sys file.
Because UNIXROOT might also used be other software (most notably
GnuPG).... Eventually the requirement to have UNIXROOT set in config.sys
should be reconsidered for Samba, as (in theory) all relevant
components set it to x:\MPTN internally if it is missing...
Post by Pete Brown
Possibly worth noting here: My previous attempts to
uninstall/reinstall this package did not include cleaning the %TEMP%
directory. Maybe something in that directory prevented successful
reinstallation of the package?
Good thought. There is a reason why the Samba GUI tools still carry
version numbers below 1.0. Hopefully after todays fixes they will behave
better.
Post by Pete Brown
A question: What is the difference between the "backends" smbpasswd
and tdbsam? - I went with the pre-selected tdbsam but would like to
know what the difference is for future installs.
The backend is the database type in which users, passwords, connections,
drivers etc. are stored. smbpasswd is the most simple one and it does
not support advanced Samba features. smbpasswd backend is default in
official Samba 3.0 and 3.2. From Samba 3.3 onward tdbsam is default.
tdbsam is more versatile and supports all Samba features. That's the
reason why this was changed to tdbsam as a default for our 3.0
installer, too.

smbpasswd backend should only be used for very small and simple
installations. tdbsam is the far better choice for almost any scenario I
can think of.
Post by Pete Brown
I left the "Server type" as the pre-selected Standalone and clicked
"Migrate IBM Peer/LANServer configuration".
This resulted in some messages that look good:-
Created user root
Created user guest
Created c:\mptn\etc\samba\lmhosts
and finally
Please, close this program in order to complete installation - I
clicked OK, closed the program and Warpin finished.
I then opened the Samba Server desktop folder - this has a url for
"SYS0317: The system cannot find message 0035 in message file
C:\VAR\TEMP\SMBWPI_EN.MSG"
Oops, it is missing in all languages except german and swedish. Fixed.
Post by Pete Brown
I attempted to run Samba users and groups. This asked for a login
which I gave as root with the password entered during the SSCC part of
the install. That worked!
I now suspect the problems I had with this previously were related to
password length - in previous installs SSCC had accepted root
passwords of 7 chars length without any complaint - this time I used a
longer password based on the error message from Samba users and groups
displayed above.
On to "Add User".
A question: what is the option "Machine Account"? - and why does it
not respond to being clicked?
That's deliberate. You can only choose that if the username ends with a
$ sign (and it should be a machine's name). Please look into the Samba
docs to understand the concept of machine accounts. You should only need
that if you setup a full blown Primary Domain Controller AFAIK.
Post by Pete Brown
When I click on the Unchecked checkbox it stays Unchecked; surely it
should become Checked.
No, it should not :-) However I should better disable it in that case.
Post by Pete Brown
I created a new user and entered a password, saved the details and
exited Samba Users and Groups.
In theory if I now run EVFSgui with the new user name and password I
should be able to connect to the samba shares.
Shame that does not work in practice...
Having started EVFSgui the Network neighbourhood view is populated
with my network. Brilliant! - No need for a Windows system to be
running on the network then.
I dragged the icon of DISKZONE (system with samba server installed) to
the Current Resources panel which popped up the "Mount to" window. I
selected drive U:\DISKZONE and then completed the Login detail as per
the new user on the samba server and clicked OK.
Result: SYS0065: Network access is denied.
I tried again and got a different result: The parameter is incorrect.
That indicates that ndpsmb.dll and EVFSGUI do not match. Old EVFSGUI
(pre 2.0.3) and new dll (post 1.5.0 beta 4).
#68:PMWP.DLL
I am using Icon number 68 found in PMWP.DLL

Please note you should not post the password seen in the resource string
- the encryption is a very simple one.
Post by Pete Brown
Out of interest I just looked in \\DISKZONE\%TEMP% and already have a
growing collection of samba related files:-
17-02-10 3:22p 262 0 a--- group
Fixed in smbusers.exe. Is removed now.
Post by Pete Brown
28-12-09 6:04p 5,281 0 a--- smbwpi_en.msg
This is from the Samba Warpin installer, however I cannot remove it
because it is opened until the installer is closed... No solution...
Post by Pete Brown
17-02-10 1:48p 0 0 a--- smb_err.585
17-02-10 3:19p 0 0 a--- smb_err.737
17-02-10 1:47p 138 0 a--- smb_msg.110
17-02-10 3:19p 14 0 a--- smb_msg.262
These are results of crashes. They are normally removed.
Post by Pete Brown
17-02-10 1:20p 388 0 a--- sscc.testparm
Fixed in sscc.exe. Is removed now.
Post by Pete Brown
Should samba server be writing all these files to %TEMP%?
Yes, the GUI tools do so and should - BUT they definitely should also
remove them, I hope they do now.

Expect smbusers.exe 0.9.6 and sscc.exe 0.9.5 later today.

A final Samba 1.0.4 is planned and in the works. After that all work
will go into Samba 3.3 (will be 1.1 for eCS) and Samba 3.5 (will be 1.2
for eCS).
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but
am stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
As soon as EVFSGUI and ndpsmb.dll match, it will work.

You might however experience the same crashes that Doug sees on a
MultiCore CPU (these give me a headache, as I cannot fix these due to
lack of skills...)

Kind regards,
Herwig
Pete Brown
2010-02-18 21:07:40 UTC
Hi Herwig

Thanks for the responses - Sorry I seem to have found a few bugs but as
you seem to be on the way to fixing those I guess they needed finding :-)
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
----- snip -----
#68:PMWP.DLL
I am using Icon number 68 found in PMWP.DLL
Hmmm..

EVFSgui, About reports Version 2.0.3 [2010-02-16]

ndpsmb.dll is the version from ndpsmb-1.5.0-20100217-test.zip
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Please note you should not post the password seen in the resource string
- the encryption is a very simple one.
Noted - no problem changing the password though.

----- snip -----
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but
am stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
As soon as EVFSGUI and ndpsmb.dll match, it will work.
You might however experience the same crashes that Doug sees on a
MultiCore CPU (these give me a headache, as I cannot fix these due to
lack of skills...)
Kind regards,
Herwig
I'm running an amd64x2 with SMP and suspect I have the same crashes as
Doug with the current EVFSgui and ndpsmb.dll files.

I'll see if Dougs trick of backleveling the ndpsmb.dll file to the build
in evfsgui-20-GA-20091224.wpi works for me as well - that means using
your wonderfully useful WPIView app to extract the file without
performing the install.

Regards

Pete
Pete Brown
2010-02-18 22:38:58 UTC
Hi Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
Hi Herwig
----- snip -----
Post by Pete Brown
I'm running an amd64x2 with SMP and suspect I have the same crashes as
Doug with the current EVFSgui and ndpsmb.dll files.
I'll see if Dougs trick of backleveling the ndpsmb.dll file to the build
in evfsgui-20-GA-20091224.wpi works for me as well - that means using
your wonderfully useful WPIView app to extract the file without
performing the install.
Regards
Pete
Backleveling ndpsmb.dll to the evfsgui-20-GA-20091224.wpi version has
EVFSgui working here.

Regards

Pete
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-02-19 07:17:18 UTC
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
Thanks for the responses - Sorry I seem to have found a few bugs but
as you seem to be on the way to fixing those I guess they needed
finding :-)
I am happy about every found and fixed bug.
Keep in mind that the manpower behind Samba is too small to

- enhance and update the Samba core
- add new functionality (there is a lot of stuff that could be provided
to our platform - it just needs to be done).
- test everything over and over again

so we (this is more or less Silvan and me, with additional imput from a
few others occasionally) are relying upon precise user feedback that
enables us to track down and fix issues.

So: Thank you for feedback, it is appreciated, even if it is difficult
and cumbersome sometimes.

Kind regards,
Herwig
Post by Pete Brown
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
----- snip -----
#68:PMWP.DLL
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Post by Pete Brown
Anyway, I now seem to have samba server up'n'running on DISKZONE but
am stumped by the failure of EVFSgui to access the shares.
As soon as EVFSGUI and ndpsmb.dll match, it will work.
You might however experience the same crashes that Doug sees on a
MultiCore CPU (these give me a headache, as I cannot fix these due to
lack of skills...)
Kind regards,
Herwig
I'm running an amd64x2 with SMP and suspect I have the same crashes as
Doug with the current EVFSgui and ndpsmb.dll files.
I'll see if Dougs trick of backleveling the ndpsmb.dll file to the
build in evfsgui-20-GA-20091224.wpi works for me as well - that means
using your wonderfully useful WPIView app to extract the file without
performing the install.
Regards
Pete
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/
With Best Regards

Herwig Bauernfeind
--
+------------------------
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-01-12 09:13:46 UTC
Post by Herwig Bauernfeind
Hi Pete,
Post by Pete Brown
1] The Workplace Shell object titled "Share this folder with samba"
could not be created because the object location "<XWP_CONFIG>" is
invalid.
Looks like someone expects e/xWP to be installed - this needs fixing
as e/xWP is not mandatory on eCS systems.
This is known. I didn't get around implementing an e/xwp check yet.
However this object/feature is absolutely useless with e/xwp.
...useless withOUT e/xwp, that should have been.

Kind regards,
Herwig