Compiler switch for Samba, end of life for 3.0, future
Herwig Bauernfeind
2010-03-25 18:51:33 UTC
Hi all,

as the multicore crash problem showed (which was BTW not only present in
the ndpsmb.dll, but also in my internal server builds), it was time to
move from GCC 3.3.5 to GCC 4.4.2.

All present and future Samba builds, both client and server, will be
built using GCC 4.4.2 and thus require gcc442.dll to be present
somewhere in the LIBPATH.
The new 1.0.4 WPI already checks for presence of this DLL.

In addition the 1.0.4 ZIP and WPI is the final one for the Samba 3.0.xx
codebase.

Hopefully, the ndpsmb.dll Version 1.5.0 which is ante portas, will be
the last piece of software based upon Samba 3.0.

All future efforts will go into stabilizing Samba 3.3.xx, fixing
reminaing bugs, creating a WPI for Samba 3.3 and creating an updated
client (1.6), which is also based upon Samba 3.3.

In addition we intend to start porting the current Samba 3.5 codebase to
eCS (OS/2).

One more thing I'd like to mention:

I am getting a lot of credits and thank-yous for Samba, these are very
welcome, but please keep in mind that it is Silvan Scherrer (and not
me), who does all the hard work to fix problems and enhance the port of
the Samba core and the client.

The Samba project is lucky to have 2 people, who like to work on it amd
who do very different tasks on it. My part is the one, which is more
visible in public, but without Silvans work, I would not have much to
create GUIs for, to compile, to package or to publish. So, a big thank
you from my side to Silvan, I really appreciate to work with you on this
project!

All Samba users, who want to show their appreciation, are encouraged to
support Silvans Qt project, I can assure you, you wont regret it!

Thanks for listening,
Herwig B.